Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Blog #2: Soundwalk

     One of the most redeeming qualities of any great films is, without a doubt, a memorable soundtrack. When I think of The Lion King, I think of Elton John’s “Can You Feel The Love Tonight.” When I think of Star Wars, I think of John Williams’ “Imperial March.” And when I think of Titanic, I think of James Horner’s “Love Theme.” These musical scores enhance personal emotions evoked by the film and engrave scenes into the memories of every viewer.  However, through earphones and headsets, we often confuse film scores with our life’s own soundtrack.


     I chose a very personal and familiar setting for my “soundwalk.” It was my first playground- the street across my apartment on 80th St, Elmhurst Avenue. It was a playground that I had long forgotten, despite its close proximity. The streets were quiet and dark; it was 9:00PM on a Friday night. Although it was the first day of spring, it was snowing. The playground suddenly became unfamiliar.


     There were no cars passing by the block. The wind gently brushed against the branches of the naked trees. Off the distance were screeching sounds of sirens; the snow did not dwindle the sounds of the of ambulances and police cars. It hinted at a sense of unconditional urgency, no matter what weather or time it was. And then there were no sirens. There were no footsteps. There were no voices. There were no subway engines.  There was no sense of rush. “Even the concrete jungle was capable of peace and quiet,” I thought. An inkling of life slowing down its pace. It was a reassuring sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment